04 July 2011

Thermal Nation

Hungary is famous for its thermal activity - over 1,300 thermal springs feed some one hundred and twenty baths and hot pools around the country. Budapest alone has 118 springs and 40 spas and baths. "Taking the waters" is popular with tourists, but is also a normal part of many Hungarian's week. The first bath we visited, in Eger, was almost entirely local, and was mobbed with an after work crowd from five until closing, at eight.
As with most bathing complexes in Hungary, there were a variety of pools and temperatures to chose from. The baths ranged from very hot to cool, with the warm pools probably the most popular. Older men and women in particular liked soaking in the 85° to 100° water, sitting together in little bobbing huddles to talk and relax.
The cooler pools were generally less crowded, and were more popular with young children. We noticed a definite correlation between the temperature of the water and the girth of the bathers bellies, with cooler water swimmers being much thinner than warm water floaters.
Around the eight or so pools at Eger, a meadow for sunbathing and picnicking was dotted with blankets. Families packed food to eat, younger and older people filled the bars and food stands that lined one edge. If soaking in thermal baths is supposed to be good for you, eating at them certainly is not. Fried foods and sweets predominate; mugs of beer and soda slosh plentifully.
Lake Hévíz was an entirely different experience. Just off the south-western tip of Lake Balaton, a separate, much smaller body of water sits. Though it's undeniably diminutive (perhaps it would be better described as a pond), it's actually very big for what it is: Hévíz is the largest thermal lake in Europe by surface area (about eleven acres) and by volume (it is one hundred twenty five feet deep at it's deepest point). Radon and sulphur rich waters filter up from the rock beneath in astonishing volumes - the water in Hévíz is replenished approximately every 24 hours.
Platforms and bathing stations fan out over the surface, and people sunbathe or float amongst the waterlillies. The temperature of the water is generally only about 85°, which doesn't feel all that warm - more tepid than hot. Rebecca described our swim as being like "a dip in old person soup," which was astute. It's really quite peaceful, with far fewer screaming children and no loud music. In winter, the water never gets below sixty five degrees, so it's possible to swim here surrounded by icy trees and snowbanks.
Two enclosed areas are built over the deepest point of Hévíz, so that people can swim indoors. I think the purpose of these enclosures has more to do with the juice and beer bars than anything, but the water is slightly warmer there, where the surface is covered. It's possible to swim right under the containing walls, but putting my head under this warm, sulphuric water didn't seem appealing.

5 comments:

  1. oooo, I would like to do a book just on pools -- you can have the castles, I will take the pools. Have you read The Mysteries of Udolpho -- one of the first great long gothic romance novels. It's most inspiring also, about castles.

    Thanks for posting this. Louise (a friend of Dan and Kim)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Mrs Aisha Mohamed, am a Citizen Of Qatar.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal loan or business loan?contact Dr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $42,000 some days ago after been scammed of $2,800 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $42,000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Mrs Aisha Mohamed, am a Citizen Of Qatar.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal loan or business loan?contact Dr James Eric Finance Home he help me with a loan of $42,000 some days ago after been scammed of $2,800 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $42,000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Everybody,

    My name is Bhagwan Kumawzt by name and I live in the POLAND and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation get any kind of loan you need today, thank you, as you read greatest testimony of my life. with whatsapp+919667837169

    Testimony of a serious loan acquired, thank you very much Dr. Mark for your loan assistance of 100,000(US DOLLARS) without any upfront fee,that you give me. I will talk about your services to those around me who need a loan or financing. I am happy with the loan you have granted me Do not hesitate,if you need a loan and a real legit loan lender so just kindly contact him now and get your loan via:: markthomasfinanceltd@gmail.com whatsapp number: +919667837169

    Whats-App no +919667837169
    Company Name Ronnie Finance Ltd
    Dr. Mark Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    ReplyDelete